- Lowest Price
- Highest Price
Plays The Music Of John WilliamsImport
180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl
PVC Protective Sleeve
Includes 4-Page Booklet
Unique Collaboration Between John Williams And Yo-yo Ma
Available On Vinyl For The First Time!
Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams is a 2002 album of John Williams compositions performed by Yo-Yo Ma and the Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles.
For an instrument with such rich expressive powers, the cello has long suffered from a shortage of great concertos. Leave it to John Williams, the composer best known for his popular, emotionally charged scores to Star Wars, ET, and many other blockbuster movies, to ride to the rescue with a new Cello Concerto, an intense, expressive, and rhythmically vital offering tailor-made for Yo-Yo Ma's dexterous touch.
Like the composer's Violin Concerto, this one is imbued with impressionistic textures and colors, but there's also a hard-driving, modern edge. Call it 21st-century Ravel. Williams wrote the concerto with Ma in mind, and it's a test of even Ma's formidable technique. It also boasts powerful orchestral writing, especially for the percussion and brass.
Three other premieres are included on the album as well. The Elegy for Cello and Orchestra is a lyrical and atmospheric tone poem, with shades of FaurÉ at every turn of phrase. The expressionistic Three Pieces for Solo Cello, though, seem more akin to Benjamin Britten's solo cello suites in their abstract, concentrated intensity. Heartwood is another tender and sensitive reverie. It gradually builds in strength but ends as it began, with a whisper of tranquil serenity.
Ma's virtuosity is dazzling, and his engagement with the music is typically deep. He makes clear that Williams's music isn't just for the movies; indeed, with his new concerto, Williams has done the cello a great service.
Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams celebrates its 15th anniversary this year and is now finally available on vinyl for the first time. A 4-page booklet with an extensive story written by John Williams is included.LP 1
1. Concerto for Cello and Orchestra
- I. Theme and Cadenza
- II. Blues
- III. Scherzo
- IV. Song
2. Elegy for Cello And Orchestra
1. Three Pieces for Solo Cello
- I. Rosewood
- II. Pickin'
- III. the Long Way North
2. Heartwood$39.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
IntuitionIntuition, a captivating album of short pieces for solo cello with piano or orchestra, has been conceived by Gautier Capuçon to "reflect the story of my life and follow the various stages in my emotional development". It brings together much-loved numbers by composers such as Saint-Saëns, FaurÉ, Massenet, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov and Elgar with newer music by Astor Piazzolla, the Italian cellist Giovanni Sollima and the pianist JÉrôme Ducros, who also appears on the album.As Gautier Capuçon says: "In music, in life, communication is the essence of everything and of anything... You share something."1. MÉditation (From Thaïs)
3. Le Cygne (From Le Carnaval des animaux, R. 125) [Transc. Vidal]
4. Violoncelles, Vibrez!
5. Lasst mich allein (From 4 Lieder, Op. 82, B. 157)
6. Salut d'amour, Op. 12 (Transc. Walter)
7. Elfentanz, Op. 39 (Transc. Ludmány)
8. El cant dels ocells (Arr. Casals)
9. Variations on One String on a Theme from Rossini's Mosè in Egitto (Transc. Fournier)
10. Andante cantabile (From String Quartet No. 1 in D Major, Op. 11)
11. Vocalise (From 14 Romances, Op. 34) [Transc. Leon]
12. Original Rags (Arr. Förster)
13. Silent Woods (From the Bohemian Forest, Op. 68)
14. Après un rêve (From 3 Songs, Op. 7) [Transc. BÜsser]
15. Le Grand Tango$23.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now