- Lowest Price
- Highest Price
Shapes CirclesDouble LP Comes With Full 2 CD Insert
"Shapes: Circles" is the latest in Tru Thoughts' series of essential label compilations, compiled by A&R and label co-owner Robert Luis.
The compilation brings the best of the current sound of the label across 30 tracks, including a handful of remixes, upfront exclusives - including a newie
from brand new signing Titeknots, and an upfront album track from rising soul sensation Harleighblu - and cuts previously only available on other formats,
as well as the odd stone cold classic.
Serving to reinforce Tru Thoughts' reputation as home to a diverse array of talent, the artists showcased here include Alice Russell, Quantic, Ty, London Posse, Zed Bias & Skream, The Bamboos & Aloe Blacc, Hot 8 Brass Band, Belleruche, Hint, Anchorsong, Wrongtom, Hidden Orchestra and many more.
The music and artists on this compilation have seen recent support across the full gamut of musical and cultural print and online press, as the profile and
standing of Tru Thoughts as one of the UK's foremost independent labels continues to rise.LP 1
1. Harleighblu - Let Me Be
2. Belleruche - Wasted Time (Ross PTH Mix)
3. Ty - Like You Never
4. Wrongtom Meets Deemas J - Jump+Move+Rock
5. Hint - Aliens Enter feat. T-Fly (Hint Remix)
6. Mark de Clive-Lowe - Get Started featuring Omar & Sheila E (Full Crate Remix)
1. Titeknots - Mind Open
2. Yannah Valdevit & Lay-Far - Empty Heart
3. The Bamboos - Where Does the Time Go? Feat. Aloe Blacc (Si-Tew Take It Back Mix)
4. Drumagick - Maracatu
5. Sleepin' Giantz - Raving Bully
6. Hint - Crash & Burn feat Natalie Storm (C.O.N.E. Remix)
1. Natural Self - The Valleys feat. Tanya Auclair & Milly Blue
2. Harleighblu - Let Me Be
3. Alice Russell - Twin Peaks
4. Belleruche - Wasted Time (Ross PTH Remix)
5. Ty - Like You Never
6. Mark de Clive-Lowe - We Renegades feat. nia andrews
7. Anchorsong - Plum Rain
8. Hint - Aliens Enter feat. T-Fly (Hint Remix)
9. Hot 8 Brass Band - Ghost Town
10. Quantic & Alice Russell with the Combo Bárbaro - Magdalena (Acoustic Version)
11. Menagerie - The Chosen
12. Quantic Y Su Conjunto Los Miticos Del Ritmo - They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)
13. Wrongtom Meets Deemas J - Jump + Move + Rock
14. Rodney P - Live Up feat. The People's Army & Mighty Moe
15. The Bamboos - Where Does The Time Go? feat. Aloe Blacc (Si Tew Take It Back Remix)
16. Freddie Cruger & Anthony Mills Are Wildcookie - Tuesday Is Friday
17. Kinny - Floating Zzzzzzz
1. Titeknots - Mind Open
2. Hidden Orchestra - Vorka (King Britt Remix)
3. Mark de Clive-Lowe - Get Started feat. Omar & Sheila E (Full Crate Remix)
4. Yannah Valdevit & Lay-Far - Empty Heart
5. Maddslinky - Dub Is For Real feat. Mr Scruff
6. Drumagick - Maracatu 07. Mark de Clive-Lowe & The Rotterdam Jazz orchestra - Take The Space Trane
8. Hint - Crash And Burn feat. Natalie Storm (C.O.N.E. Remix)
9. Wrongtom Meets Deemas J - Jump + Move + Rock (Benny Page Remix)
10. Sleepin' Giantz - Raving Bully
11. Riz MC - All Of You feat. Aruba Red & Plan B
12. Zed Bias -Badness feat. Skream
13. London Posse - Money Mad (Drumagick D Step Remix)$15.99Vinyl LP + 2 CD - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
WingbeatsWingbeats is the eagerly awaited new release from Hidden Orchestra, on Tru Thoughts. On the 7-track EP, which illuminates the fascinating intricacy of Joe Acheson's work, the immersive lead track is accompanied by several of the original source compositions, which fed, into its creation. Rich in detail and character, field recordings intertwine with drums, percussion and eclectic instruments including piano, electro-harp, glockenspiel, Turkish mey and cello.1. Wingbeats
2. Wingbeats Source I - Bird Table
3. Wingbeats Source II - Cello
4. Wingbeats Source III - Piano and Wings
5. Wingbeats Source IV - Tuned Percussion, Harp, Mey
6. Wingbeats Source V - Drums$13.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - SoundtrackCrouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the Original Soundtrack album of the 2000 Academy Award- and Golden Globe Award-winning film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon starring Yun-Fat Chow, Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang and Chen Chang. The soundtrack was awarded at the Academy Awards, Grammy's and BAFTA Awards. The score was also nominated for a Golden Globe.
The score was composed by Tan Dun, originally performed by Shanghai Symphony Orchestra, Shanghai National Orchestra, and Shanghai Percussion Ensemble. It also features many solo passages for cello played by Yo-Yo Ma. The ''last track'' (''A Love Before Time'') features Coco Lee. The orchestra's string section was accompanied by traditional Chinese instruments such as the bamboo flute and hand drum, and an ethnic Miao group.
Dun is now a winner of today's most prestigious musical honors including the Grawemeyer Award for classical composition, a Grammy Award, an Academy Award and Musical America's ''Composer of The Year''.1. A Love Before Time* (Mandarin)
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
3. The Eternal Vow
4. A Wedding Interrupted
5. Night Fight
6. Silk Road
7. To The South
8. Through The Bamboo Forest
9. The Encounter
10. Desert Capriccio
11. In The Old Temple
12. Yearning Of The Sword
15. A Love Before Time* (English)$42.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
SketchesClassically trained pianist, violinist, producer, and composer, Poppy Ackroyd turned heads in the neo-classical world with her previous works Escapement and Feathers, as well as her involvement in Hidden Orchestra (Tru Thoughts). Advocated by giants of the genre, Hauschka and Nils Frahm, the unique musician has returned with a mini-album to be released on Bjork's label One Little Indian Records.
The songs serve to reintroduce listeners to Ackroyd's most stunning pieces from her previous albums, all of which have been reworked into 'acoustic' solo piano arrangements alongside four brand new unheard pieces, which offer a taste of a new forthcoming record.
The record, aptly named Sketches, due to its stripped down nature, is bejeweled by thematic undercurrents - birds are the inspiration for three of the tracks, which are to be released together as the lead singles from the album.
'Birdwoman' and 'Glass Sea' feature field recordings of birds and the ocean, recorded on Brighton Beach and North Rona respectively. 'Feathers' is the title track of my second album Feathers says Ackroyd, discussing the theme of birds.
'Feathers' is a piece about hope - 'Hope is the thing with Feathers' (Emily Dickinson), 'Birdwoman' is a reworking of a piece I originally wrote as a soundtrack to a silent film based on a Siberian folk tale, and 'Glass Sea' attempts to capture the feel of a boat trip I took to the remote islands of North Rona and Sula Sgeir, North of the Outer Hebrides. The ocean was unusually still, reflecting the sky like a sheet of glass, but the sky became busy with birds as we approached the islands.
Ackroyd is a keen collaborator, having created soundtracks for film, dance, physical theater and radio. The artist won a BAFTA for an animation soundtrack that she wrote and performed in 2015. Through studying contemporary classical piano works and listening to electronic music, Ackroyd developed a unique compositional style, using contemporary pianistic ideas whilst also inhabiting the world of sound beyond the keyboard, using unconventional techniques to 'play' other parts of the instruments as well.
Talking about the recording of Sketches, Ackroyd said: The songs were recorded just outside of Brighton at Retreat Studios, close to the sea on the edge of the village, surrounded by hills, fields, and wildlife. As if by magic, it began to rain just before I began to record the track 'Rain', and ended shortly after I finished. You can hear the rain build and then die away with the music on the finished piece.
I have loved creating this solo piano album. There are normally all these layers that I use to create a world of sound, that I love to build and sculpt, but there is something really special about communicating simply through the instrument alone. With other layers there is always something to hide behind, with only the piano you can just focus on your technique and expression, everything feels very audible and exposed and that is very exciting, especially in a live context.1. Resolve
8. Glass Sea
10. Trains$16.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Nobody's Watching (Pre-Order)Steady Holiday is an appropriate name for an artist whose music feels like the soundtrack to your fondest memory. Or your deepest heartbreak. Or the dream sequence from a David Lynch film. There's a nostalgia present in Dre Babinski's songwriting that leaves you longing for the familiarity of a bygone era - just not one you can necessarily pin down.
After years growing up playing in bands around Los Angeles, Dre recently began writing and recording for herself - on her own, in secret, developing a body of work about hidden desire itself. Establishing a sound defined by her featherlight voice floating above sweeping strings, her 2016 debut Under the Influence led to opening for artists like Mitski, Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.
Whereas the first record took us on a trip through the deeply personal, Dre's sophomore album Nobody's Watching zooms way out. What began as a concept record about two archetypal crooks developed into an exploration of universal themes like greed, fear and self-interest; the ugly and troubling edges of human nature. It's a good time for that.
Dre worked with producer Gus Seyffert (Roger Waters, Beck) to create a sound that echoes the narrative told on Nobody's Watching. From the sunny and observant to the dark and critical, the tone ranges from levity to paranoia through layers of analog synths and chilling strings played by Dre herself. There are moments of cinematic intensity reminiscent of a James Bond score, yet the subtle tape hiss and creaking chairs remind us that this is an album made by people. It is warm, and it breathes, the same way the human touch can both soothe and suffocate.
Nobody's Watching is the natural next step for Dre and Steady Holiday, a project that builds worlds we wish to escape to or from. It's an examination of the inner narratives we all share but keep in the shadows, where the characters may not always be likable, but they do what they can to survive - like we all do.1. Flying Colors
3. Who's Gonna Stop Us
4. Nobody's Watching
5. All Aboard
6. Love and Pressure
7. Eastern Comfort
8. Trapping Season
9. Exit Song
10. Desperate Times$18.99Vinyl LP - Sealed PRE-ORDER Buy Now