- Lowest Price
- Highest Price
WARB-PAR-6046xJacqueline Du Pre
The Heart Of The Cello"She clearly was born to play the cello," wrote the New York Times of Jacqueline Du PrÉ in 1967. Just five years later her career was cut tragically short by illness. This LP provides a treasurable memento of the "perfect balance of youth and maturity" that Du PrÉ's teacher, William Pleeth, found in her playing: "She approached each new experience with spontaneous pleasure and enthusiasm." Offering a vivid experience of her art in the concerto, not least her legendary Elgar, the album comprises recordings remastered in 24-BIT / 96kHz at London's famous Abbey Road Studios.1. Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: I. Adagio - Moderato
2. Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: II. Lento - Allegro molto
3. Cello Concerto in B Minor, Op. 104, B. 191: III. Finale (Allegro moderato)
4. Cello Concerto No. 1 in A Minor, Op. 33: I. Allegro non troppo
5. Cello Concerto in A Minor, Op. 129: II. Langsam - Etwas lebhafter - Schneller
6. Cello Concerto in A Minor, Op. 129: III. Sehr lebhaft
7. Cello Concerto No. 1 in C Major, Hob. VIIb, 1: III. Allegro molto$23.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
WARB-PAR-5347xJacqueline Du Pre
Dvorak: Cello ConcertoA true genius of the cello, full of joy and life, Jacqueline du PrÉ passed away on October 19th, 1987, after many years fighting multiple sclerosis and aged only 42. This LP comes from the 5-LP boxset released in November 2017 to mark the 30th anniversary of Jacqueline du PrÉ's passing; the three other ones will be released later, on a monthly basis. It uses the 24-BIT/96kHz remastering made at Abbey Road in 2011 for Japanese SACD version1. Antonín Dvorak - Cello Concerto In B Minor, Op. 104, B.191
2. Antonín Dvorak - Silent Woods, Op.68, B.182$23.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
WARB-PAR-5323xJacqueline Du Pre
Haydn / Boccherini: Cello Concertos (Pre-Order)Release Date: June 8, 2018*
This LP comes from the 5xLP boxset that was released in November 2017 for the 30th anniversary of death of Jacqueline du PrÉ. It uses the 24-BIT/96kHz remastering made at Abbey Road in 2011 for Japanese SACD versions. Jacqueline du PrÉ, performing with one of the conductors most closely associated with her career, brings characteristic exuberance, passion and colour to two cello concertos rooted in the 18th-century. In his memoir A Life in Music, Daniel Barenboim wrote: "I have never encountered anyone for whom music was such a natural form of expression as it was for Jacqueline She had a capacity to imagine sound such as I never met in any other musician."
*Please note that release dates are subject to change.Haydn: Cello Concerto In C Major
1. 1st Movement: Moderato - Cadenza - Tempo I
2. 2nd Movement: Adagio - Cadenza - Tempo I
3. 3rd Movement: Allegro Molto
Boccherini: Cello Concerto In B Flat Major
1. 1st Movement: Allegro Moderato - Cadenza - Tempo I
2. 2nd Movement: Adagio Non Troppo
3. 3rd Movement: Rondo (Allegro - Cadenza) - Tempo I$22.99Vinyl LP - Sealed PRE-ORDER Buy Now
WARB-PAR-1888xJacqueline Du Pre
Elgar: Cello Concerto, Sea PicturesAt the premiere of Elgar's Cello Concerto in 1919, John Barbirolli - himself a cellist - was playing in the London Symphony Orchestra. When he recorded the work in 1965 he chose Jacqueline du PrÉ as soloist and she remains inextricably linked with this elegiac, but passionate work. Barbirolli's special affection for Elgar's music is just as evident in the glorious account of Sea Pictures with Janet Baker and the Philharmonia Orchestra.1. Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: I. Adagio - Moderato
2. Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: II. Lento - Allegro molto
3. Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: III. Adagio
4. Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: IV. Allegro - Moderato - Cadenza - Allegro, ma non troppo - Adagi
5. Sea Pictures, Op. 37: I. Sea Slumber-Song
6. Sea Pictures, Op. 37: II. In Haven (Capri)
7. Sea Pictures, Op. 37: III. Sabbath Morning at Sea
8. Sea Pictures, Op. 37: IV. Where Corals Lie
9. Sea Pictures, Op. 37: V. The Swimmer$23.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
WARB-PAR-5330xJacqueline Du Pre
Schumann / Saint-Saens: Cello ConcertosThis LP comes from the 5xLP boxset that was released in November 2017 for the 30th anniversary of death of Jacqueline du PrÉ; it uses the 24-BIT/96kHz remastering made at Abbey Road in 2011 for Japanese SACD versions. "It is good to be reminded of du PrÉ's vivid, intense and joyful music-making", wrote Gramophone of this pairing of cello concertos by Schumann and Saint-Saëns. "[The Schumann] has that kind of spontaneous freedom of line that made her account of the Elgar so famous. Her delicacy of response in the slow movement is matched by a romantic flair which carries the outer movements along so admirably. Barenboim directs a sympathetic accompaniment, following her subtle manipulation of rubato with complete understanding."Schumann: Cello Concerto In A Minor
1. Cello Concerto in A Minor, Op. 129: I. Nicht zu schnell
2. Cello Concerto in A Minor, Op. 129: II. Langsam - Etwas lebhafter - Schneller
3. Cello Concerto in A Minor, Op. 129: III. Sehr lebhaft
Saint-Saens: Cello Concerto No. 1 In A Minor
4. Cello Concerto No. 1 in A Minor, Op. 33: I. Allegro non troppo
5. Cello Concerto No. 1 in A Minor, Op. 33: II. Allegretto con moto
6. Cello Concerto No. 1 in A Minor, Op. 33: III. Un peu moins vite$22.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
WARB-PAR-5316xJacqueline Du Pre
R. Strauss: Don Quixote (Pre-Order)Release Date: July 6, 2018*
Fantastic variations on a Theme of Knightly Character for cello, viola & orchestra, Op. 35.
*Please note that release dates are subject to change.$22.99Vinyl LP - Sealed PRE-ORDER Buy Now
Twelve Dark Noons EPHaving expanded from the no-wave two piece of Lucy Cliche and Matthew Hopkins to a fully fleshed out four piece including drummer Lachlan Vercoe and bassist Nic De Jong, our favorite Australian outcasts return with a stunning EP as their follow-up to last years full length Heaps of Nothing. This EP is a bit lighter in mood and delivery; in the words of the bands own Hopkins its a bit like, Dracula fronting the B-52s, and opening track, The Gift is a perfectly modern homage to past dark lords such as Bauhaus and Christian Death.
Twelve Dark Noons serves as a companion piece to the short experimental film of the same name directed by Jacqueline Castel and produced by Night People Records and Caleb Braaten of Sacred Bones. The film has had several premiers worldwide including SXSW and ZedeBois Gallery in Lisbon. It stars the bands core duo Lucy and Matthew in a horrific mental unraveling set in the Australian outback.1. The Gift
2. Clock of 12s
3. Happy Endings
5. The Fridge
6. High Noon$14.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Jackie (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)Jackie is the upcoming biographical film from Chilean director Pablo Larraín. Starring Natalie Portman (Black Swan) in the title role, the movie follows Jacqueline Kennedy from the days when she was First Lady of the White House to the aftermath of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Critically lauded since its debut at the Venice Film Festival where it won the Best Screenplay Award, Jackie also received the Platform Prize at the Toronto International Film Festival and is a heavy favorite going into awards season. The score to Jackie was composed by experimental British musician Mica Levi, best known for her ethereal score to 2013's sleeper hit "Under the Skin". Mournful and eerie with a touch of the surreal, Levi has delivered an unmistakable musical tapestry every bit as iconic as Jackie O herself.1. Intro
6. Empty White House
8. Lee Harvey Oswald
9. Walk to the Capitol
11. Decision Made
13. The End
14. Credits$22.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Swinging Mademoiselles (Pre-Order)Import
Pressed On Limited Neon Pink Vinyl
Featuring Original Recordings From The 60s
Long before Britain started swinging in the mid-1960s, France was the bastion for cool European pop sounds. Sultry young French women, heavy on mascara and dreamy innocence, cast a spell with what became known as 'Les AnnÉes YÉ YÉ'.
The YÉ YÉ girls took a firm grip on American and British pop and gave it a sparkly Gallic twist, resulting in a vibrant sound that has effortlessly stood the test of time.
This collection features many rare and sought-after tracks from the languid sound of Jacqueline Taieb's "7 Heures Du Matin" and Katy David's alluring take on Petula Clark's standard "Call Me" to Elizabeth's precocious "Je Suis Sublime".1. 7 Heures Du Matin - Jacqueline Taïeb
2. Palladium (The Hip) - Liz Brady
3. Porquoi Pas Moi - Stella
4. Et Moi, Et Toi, Et Soie - ClÉo
5. Go Home - Jacqueline Perez
6. Des Tigres Et Des Minets - Christine Delaroche
7. CafÉ Crème - Christine Pilzer
8. C'est Bon - Adèle
9. Madame La Terre (Et Ron, Et Ron) - ClÉo
10. Le Printemps À Paris - Jacqueline Taïeb
11. La Plus Belle Chanson - Jacqueline Taïeb
12. Saperlipopette - Clothilde
13. Plus Tard (Call Me) - Katy David
14. Je Suis Sublime - Elizabeth$36.99Colored Vinyl LP - Sealed PRE-ORDER Buy Now
PUP (Awaiting Repress)If you haven't heard of Toronto punk-band PUP; that will probably soon change.
The band, who changed their name from Topanga to PUP back in April, have been labeled as a band to watch by both The Grid and NOW Magazine.
In their debut, self-titled album, the band combines a throwback, classic punk sound with a modern indie sound, comparable to that of fellow Canadian rockers Hollerado.
Their raw, catchy guitar hooks coupled with in-your-face vocals are refreshing to listen to in a world of modern music where these things are tragically uncommon.
Songs like Guilt Trip, Reservoir and Lionheart are particular highlights of the album.
The lyrics are relatable, dealing with coming-of-age topics that everyone can identify with on some level. In an interview for CBC, the band says their lyrics come from "frustration and anxiety and trying to get your shit together."
With this debut album under their belts, it would be fair to say PUP is well on their way.
- Jacqueline Tucci (The Scope)1. Guilt Trip
4. Never Try
6. Dark Days
9. Back Against the Wall
10. Factories$22.99Vinyl LP - Sealed AWAITING REPRESS Buy Now
Russian Orchestral MusicRussian Orchestal Music - Barenboim - Chicago Symphony Orchestra on 180g Import LP
"There is no one quite like Daniel Barenboim today in the music world. General music director of the Berlin State Opera and its orchestra, the Berlin Staatskapelle; principal guest conductor at the Teatro Alla Scala in Milan; formerly music director of the Chicago Symphony and the Orchestre de Paris; for years a conductor at the Bayreuth and Salzburg festivals; a champion of new music since the 1950s; a chamber musician who has performed with every great singer and instrumentalist in half a century, from Gregor Piatigorsky and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau to his late wife, the cellist Jacqueline du PrÉ, and the bass-baritone Thomas Quasthoff, Mr. Barenboim was a child prodigy who remains, despite a full-time conducting career, a towering figure at the keyboard." - Michael Kimmelman, New York Times
Here, the 2003 Grammy-winner conducts the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in performances of Borodin's Polovtsian Dances, Mussorgsky's Night On The Bald Mountain, and Rimsky-Korssakoff's Russian Easter Overture and Capriccio Espagnol. 180g vinyl pressing from Clearaudio.
"Beautiful though their melodies remain, the "Polovtsian Dances" mean less when, as here, deprived of voices. This is a very animated performance, however, with fine playing by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and first-class recording, everything being absolutely distinct in well-proportioned stereo, and with virtually no tape hiss. Stich points have even more importance than usual in items like those by Rimsky-Korsakov, which are mainly studies in orchestral colour." - Gramophone/1977
Daniel Barenboim (conductor)
Chicago Symphony Orchestra1. Alexander Borodin - Polovtsian Dances - from the Opera "Prince Igor"
2. Nikolai Rimsky-Korssakoff - Russian Easter Overture, Op. 36 - on Liturgical Themes for Large Orchestra
3. Modest Mussorgsky - Night On The Bald Mountain, Op. post. - Concert Fantasy for Large ORchestra
4. Nikolai Rimsky-Korssakoff - Capriccio espagnol op. 34
I. Alborada: vivo e strepitoso
II. Variazioni: Andante con moto
III. Alborada: vivo e strepitoso
IV. Scena e Canto gitano: Allegretto
V. Fandango asturiano$44.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
5 Legendary Recordings (Box Set) (Out Of Stock)"She clearly was born to play the cello," wrote the New York Times of Jacqueline du PrÉ in 1967. Just five years later her career was cut tragically short by illness. Providing a treasurable memento of her art, this is a newly-assembled 5LP collection of masterworks for cello and orchestra from three centuries. It includes the Elgar Concerto, so closely associated with du PrÉ, and a 1968 recording of Strauss's Don Quixote which, after a complex genesis, was not released until 1995, the height of the CD era. Now, it makes its first appearance on LP. In each work, the cellist provides evidence of what her teacher, William Pleeth, described as the "perfect balance of youth and maturity".
Warner Classics pays tribute to the beloved Jacqueline du PrÉ around the 30th anniversary of her passing with these 5 LPs of legendary recordings. A true genius of the cello, full of joy and life, Jacqueline du PrÉ passed away on October 19th, 1987, aged only 42, after many years of fighting multiple sclerosis. This is a limited edition with a beautiful artwork at a bargain price. Four of the five LPs are designed from the original LP covers, except the Strauss which has never been released on LP before. These four albums are the 24-BIT/96kHz remastered versions made at Abbey Road in 2011 for Japanese SACD versions.LP 1
1. Edward Elgar - Cello Concerto In E Minor, Op. 85
2. Edward Elgar - Sea Pictures, Op. 37
1. Joseph Haydn - Cello Concerto No. 1 In C Major, Hob. Viib:1
2. Luigi Boccherini - Cello Concerto In B-flat Major (Arr. Grutzmacher)
1. Robert Schumann - Cello Concerto In A Minor, Op. 129
2. Camille Saint-saëns - Cello Concerto No. 1 In A Minor, Op. 33
1. Richard Strauss - Don Quixote, Fantastic Variations On A Theme Of Knightly Character For Cello, Viola & Orchestra, Op.35
1. Antonín Dvorak - Cello Concerto In B Minor, Op. 104, B.191
2. Antonín Dvorak - Silent Woods, Op.68, B.182$64.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP Box Set - 5 LPs Sealed Temporarily out of stock