By Label / Make
By Artist / Manufacturer
By Label / Make
By Genre / Model
- Lowest Price
- Highest Price
Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story - The Soundtrack (Pre-Order)Release Date: June 8, 2018*
First-Ever Career-Spanning Compilation Features Key Tracks From Ronson's Solo Albums, Collaborations With David Bowie, Elton John, Ian Hunter, Michael Chapman And Queen And Exclusive New Contributions From Joe Elliott And Mike Garson
Pressed On 2x Heavy-Weight 180-Gram Vinyl
UMe is pleased to announce the release of Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story, The Soundtrack. The album comes on the heels of the film's streaming debuts on Hulu and Amazon Prime following last year's successful theatrical run and the DVD/Blu-ray releases.
The soundtrack is the first official career retrospective compilation for the guitar virtuoso, Mick Ronson, known affectionately as Ronno. As well as highlights from Ronson's solo records, the compilation includes material from his key collaborations with David Bowie, Elton John, Ian Hunter, Michael Chapman and Queen. The album also includes a previously unreleased cover version of This Is For You by Def Leppard's Joe Elliott and a piano tribute to Ronson from Bowie's piano-man and band alumni Mike Garson (David Bowie, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins). The soundtrack includes extensive essay & liner notes and will be available on heavy-weight 180-gram black vinyl.
For the career-spanning documentary, producer/director Jon Brewer (BB King: The Life of Riley, Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark, Jimi Hendrix: Guitar Hero, The Most Dangerous Band in The World) gained the unprecedented access and permission for use of materials relating to the life of rock hero Mick Ronson, who was largely commercially overlooked despite his direct contribution and pivotal involvement in countless iconic compositions of David Bowie and The Spiders from Mars.
Despite his production and guitar work with Lou Reed, Morrissey, Ian Hunter and Mott The Hoople, Bob Dylan, John Mellencamp and many others, it is Ronson's dynamic support, contribution, and co-creation of the expansive and multi-faceted career of David Bowie and in fact that era of music, that the film and this soundtrack exposes. Featuring exclusive narration by David Bowie and exclusive contributions by Rick Wakeman, Joe Elliott, Roger Taylor, Ian Hunter, Angie Bowie and many more, Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story is a tribute to an uncomplicated man who achieved the pinnacle of success in the music industry as well as the rarefied respect from his contemporaries for his production and guitar skills.
His humble beginnings (in the northern English city of Hull) underpinned the values and modest, unpretentious personality of Ronson. Originally working with Hull City Council while he pursued his craft with consummate dedication, word of his talent reached Bowie who grabbed at the chance to work with Ronson, and from there rock history was made. The Man Who Sold the World, Aladdin Sane, Hunky Dory and Jean Genie were all constructed with Ronno on guitar. In 1974, he was voted #2 'Best Guitarist' in Cream magazine (notably Eric Clapton came in third).
Sadly, in 1993 Ronson passed away before receiving the recognition he so richly deserved before taking that final bow, as seen on film, at his last show. He had been making a solo album at the time, which was subsequently finished by his contemporaries. Emperor Media have achieved ultimate authenticity and access in chronicling the life and works of this man, an extraordinary talent who became a cornerstone of rock music and who stood Beside Bowie during one of the most memorable periods of his dazzling career.
*Please note that release dates are subject to change.1. Queen, Ian Hunter, David Bowie, Mick Ronson, Joe Elliott & Phil Collen - All The Young Dudes (Live)
2. Michael Chapman - Soulful Lady
3. Elton John - Madman Across The Water
4. David Bowie - Moonage Daydream
5. David Bowie - Cracked Actor
6. David Bowie - Time
7. Ian Hunter - Once Bitten, Twice Shy
8. Mick Ronson - I'd Give Anything To See You
9. Mick Ronson - Hard Life
10. Mick Ronson - Midnight Love
11. Mick Ronson - Like A Rolling Stone
12. Joe Elliott - This Is For You*
13. Queen, David Bowie and Mick Ronson - Heroes (Live)
14. Mike Garson - Tribute To Mick Ronson *
*Previously Unreleased$34.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed PRE-ORDER Buy Now
Heaven & HullImport
Available On Vinyl For The First Time
Heaven And Hull was the final solo album by David Bowie alumnus and Rock guitarist Mick Ronson, released in 1994, following Ronson's death the previous year. The album features collaborations by long time friends of Ronson including David Bowie, Joe Elliott, and Ian Hunter. Other artists on this first-ever LP include Peter Noone, Martin Chambers and Chrissie Hynde, Phil Collen and John Mellencamp.
The All The Young Dudes track on Heaven And Hull is from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, where Ronson himself was suffering from cancer. On screen, he appears very thin, while still playing blistering guitar. It proved to be his last concert.
Sham Morris, one of the album's producers: During the making of Heaven And Hull, (working title To Hull And Back) I asked Mick to visualize a characteristic from his home town of Hull. His first thought was the Humber Bridge. The Bridge became very symbolic for those of us working on the album and it was his wish to incorporate it in the artwork. Mick has crossed the Bridge now and left us this swan song.1. Don't Look Down
2. Like A Rolling Stone
3. When The World Falls Down
4. Trouble With Me
5. Life's A River
6. You And Me
7. Colour Me
8. Take A Long Line
9. Midnight Love
10. All The Young Dudes$34.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Slaughter On 10th Avenue (Seam Split) (Discontinued)Import
Mick Ronson is best known for his work with David Bowie as one of The Spiders from Mars. He can be heard on legendary albums like The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars and Aladdin Sane. He was also a busy session musician who worked with artists such as Bob Dylan, Van Morrison & Morrissey. In 1974, one year after leaving Bowie's entourage, Ronson released his solo debut album Slaughter On 10th Avenue. It features his version of Elvis Presley's Love Me Tender, two tracks written by David Bowie as well as Ronson's most famous solo track Only After Dark.1. Love Me Tender
2. Growing Up And I'm Fine
3. Only After Dark
4. Music Is Lethal
5. I'm The One
6. Pleasure Man / Hey Ma Get Papa
7. Slaughter On Tenth Avenue$26.36180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Transformer (Awaiting Repress)Transformer is the second solo studio album by American recording artist Lou Reed. Produced by David Bowie and Mick Ronson, the album was originally released in November 1972 by RCA Records.1. Vicious
2. Andy's Chest
3. Perfect Day
4. Hangin' 'Round
5. Walk On the Wild Side
6. Make Up
7. Satellite of Love
8. Wagon Wheel
9. New York Telephone Conversation
10. I'm So Free
11. Goodnight Ladies$19.99150 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed AWAITING REPRESS Buy Now
Transformer (Speakers Corner) (Awaiting Repress)Ranked 194/500 on Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
It is well known that comparisons seldom get to the root of the matter, but in the case of Lou Reed, for example, they certainly reveal the unassuredness of those people who made them. Is he or isn't he the Chuck Berry or Sergeant Pepper of the Seventies, or is he deliberately building up an image of himself as an ultra-sensitive Frankenstein, who lived out his neuroses and drug trips in horrific sound? Some records are so unbelievably repulsive, raged the magazine Rolling Stone, that one would best like to take physical revenge on the artists who commit such offences.
The album Transformer, however, can by no means be classified as a case of 'acoustic bodily harm'. It appeared just a few months after the somewhat unsuccessful appearance of Lou Reed's fairly underground first release and rocketed straight into the charts. This production had two British guardian angels to help it on its way, namely David Bowie and Mick Ronson, both of whom obviously knew how to steer Reed's songwriting qualities into safe waters, without watering down his biting sarcasm and humorous provocation.
And that's why grating guitar rock (Vicious) is found alongside a bittersweet, tender ballad (Perfect Day) and even an old-time jazz parody (Goodnight Ladies) which is sung with a tongue a heavy as lead. Why then compare this highly original music mix with others, when it's so much easier to hear this record for what it is - a truly cult album?
- Lou Reed (vocal, guitar, arranger)
- Mick Ronson (vocal, guitar, piano, arranger)
- David Bowie (vocal, arranger)
- Ronnie Ross (saxophone)
- Klaus Voorman (bass)
- Herbie Flowers (tuba, bass)
- John Halzey, Barry Desouza; Ritchie Dharma (drums)
Recording: 1972 by Arun Chakranerty
Production: David Bowie and Mick Ronson
About Speakers Corner
At the beginning of the 90s, in the early days of audiophile vinyl re-releases, the situation was fairly straightforward. Companies such as DCC, Mobile Fidelity, Classic Records and, of course, Speakers Corner all maintained a mutual, unwritten ethical code: we would only use analogue tapes to manufacture records.
During the course of the present vinyl hype, many others have jumped on the bandwagon in the hope of securing a corner of the market. Very often they are not so ethical and use every imaginable source to master from: CDs, LPs, digital files, MP3s - or employed existant tools from the 80s and 90s for manufacturing.
A digital delay is gladly used when cutting a lacquer disc because tape machines with an analogue delay have become quite rare and are therefore expensive. When cutting the lacquer, the audio signal is delayed by one LP revolution against the signal, which controls the cutter head, and for this a digital delay is very often employed. Of course, the resultant sound signal is completely digital and thus only as good as this delay.
We should like to emphasise that Speakers Corner Records on principle only uses the original master tape as the basis for the entirely analogue cutting of lacquer discs. In addition, the pressing tool is newly manufactured as a matter of principle. We have one digital recording in our catalogue (Alan Parsons / Eye In The Sky"), but even in this particular case we used the analogue tapes for cutting.
We only employ existing tools for manufacturing if an improved result is not forthcoming, e.g. the title Elvis Is Back, which was mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray, or several titles from our Philips Classics series, which in any case Willem Makkee cut from the original masters at the Emil Berliner Studios in the 90s. It goes without saying that we only used the mother and that new tools were made for our production.
To put it in a nutshell: we can ensure you that our releases are free from any kind of digital effects - excluding the exception above - and that the lacquer discs are newly cut.1. Vicious
2. Andy's Chest
3. Perfect Day
4. Hangin' Round
5. Walk on the Wild Side
6. Make Up
7. Satellite of Love
8. Wagon Wheel
9. New York Telephone Conversation
10. I'm So Free
11. Goodnight Ladies$34.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed AWAITING REPRESS Buy Now
Bowie At The Beeb: The Best Of The BBC Radio Sessions '68-'72 (Awaiting Repress)Previously released on CD, this is the debut of the Best Of David Bowie's BBC radio sessions from 1968 - 1972 on vinyl. The 39-track 4 LP set comes in a lift off lid box and features a full color 20 page booklet.
This vinyl version features Oh! You Pretty Things from the Sounds Of The 70s Bob Harris session, broadcast in September 1971, which was previously exclusive to the Japanese release of the CD.
This performance features just David and Mick Ronson as a duo.Completely exclusive to this collection, and therefore making its debut, is the once lost The Supermen from the Sounds Of The 70s Andy Ferris session, broadcast in March 1970, and performed by The Hype. This recording was only rediscovered during the research for the original CD set and remained unreleased until now.LP 1
1. In The Heat Of The Morning (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Orchestra
2. London Bye, Ta-Ta (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Orchestra
3. Karma Man (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Orchestra
4. Silly Boy Blue (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Orchestra
5. Let Me Sleep Beside You (2000 Remastered Version)
6. Janine (2000 Remastered Version)
7. Amsterdam (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Trio
8. God Knows I'm Good (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Trio
9. The Width Of A Circle (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Trio
10. Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Trio
1. Cygnet Committee (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Trio
2. Memory Of A Free Festival (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Tony Visconti Trio
3. Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Hype
4. The Supermen (2016 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Hype
5. Bombers (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & Friends
6. Looking For A Friend (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & Friends
7. Almost Grown (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & Friends
8. Kooks (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & Friends
9. It Ain't Easy (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & Friends
1. The Supermen (with Mick Ronson) [2000 Remastered Version]
2. Oh! You Pretty Things (with Mick Ronson) [2000 Remastered Version]
3. Eight Line Poem (2000 Remastered Version)
4. Hang On To Yourself (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
5. Ziggy Stardust (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
6. Queen Bitch (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
7. Waiting For The Man (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
8. Five Years (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
9. White Light/White Heat (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
10. Moonage Daydream (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
1. Hang On To Yourself (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
2. Suffragette City (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
3. Ziggy Stardust (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
4. Starman (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
5. Space Oddity (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
6. Changes (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
7. Oh! You Pretty Things (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
8. Andy Warhol (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
9. Lady Stardust (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars
10. Rock 'N' Roll Suicide (2000 Remastered Version) - By David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars$79.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP Box Set - 4 LPs Sealed AWAITING REPRESS Buy Now
In The Flat FieldFew debut albums have ever arrived as nearly perfectly formed as In the Flat Field. It practically invented what remains for many as the blueprint of goth music. In the Flat Field contains a wide variety of inspirations and ideas. The astonishingly precise rhythm section of David J and Kevin Haskins pulls off a variety of jaw-dropping performances, including the high-paced tension of the title track and the brooding crawl of "Spy in the Cab." Daniel Ash, much like his longtime hero Mick Ronson, turns out to be a master of turning relatively simple guitar parts into apocalyptic explosions, from the background fills on "St. Vitus Dance" to the brutal descending chords of "Stigmata Martyr." Murphy, meanwhile, channels as much Iggy Pop as he does Bowie, proving to be no simple copyist of either, able to both maniacally sing-shout and take a somewhat lighter touch throughout. The album concludes with the seven-minute "Nerves," an aptly titled piece that alternates between understated energy and unleashed power spiraling toward a dramatic ending. In the Flat Field started off Bauhaus' album career with a near-perfect bang.1. Double Dare
2. In The Flat Field
3. A God In An Alcove
5. The Spy In The Cab
6. Small Talk Stinks
7. St. Vitus Dance
8. Stigmata Martyr
9. Nerves$18.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Your Arsenal (Out Of Stock)His fourth and finest solo album is, as the cover shot suggests, Morrisey's idea of hard rock. There's a gritty, glam feel to Mick Ronson's production (check the Ziggy Stardust cop on I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday), while the loud'n'rude riffs of new guitarist Boz Boorer banish memories of the Smiths. Best news: for once the songs focus on adult life, not the man's well-documented adolescence. --Jeff Bateman1. You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
2. Glamorous Glue
3. We'll Let You Know
4. The National Front Disco
5. Certain People I Know
6. We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
7. You're The One For Me, Fatty
8. Seasick, Yet Still Docked
9. I Know It's Going To Happen Someday
10. Tomorrow$24.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Temporarily out of stock