By Label / Make
By Artist / Manufacturer
By Label / Make
By Genre / Model
- Lowest Price
- Highest Price
Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite / String QuartetNutcracker Suite, op. 71a
String Quartet No. 1 op. 11 - Andante cantabile
Mstislav RostropovichPeter Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840 - 1893)
Nutcracker Suite, Op.71a
1. Miniature Overture
3. Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy
4. Russian Dance (Trepak)
5. Arabian Dance (Coffee)
6. Chinese Dance (Tea)
7. Dance of the Reed-Pipes (Merlitons)
8. Waltz of the Flowers
Berliner Philharmoniker, Mstislav Rostropovich
Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840 - 1893)
String Quartet No.1 in D, Op.11
1. 2. Andante cantabile
Members of Berliner Philharmoniker, Mstislav Rostropovich
2. Capriccio italien, Op.45$25.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker - Complete Ballet ScoreOne of the most beloved and recognizable classical compositions, The Nutcracker ballet by Tchaikovsky remains a perennial favorite. In this highly regarded, 1986 recording, esteemed conductor Sir Charles Mackerras leads the London Symphony Orchestra through the dramatic, complete score, including such highlights as the "Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy." This coveted recording, reissued on vinyl for the first time in 20 years, served as the soundtrack to the 1986 movie version of the ballet.LP 1
Act I: First Tableau
2. Scene 1: The Christmas Tree
3. Scene 2: March 2:31
4. Scene 3: Children's Galop & Arrival Of The Guests
5. Scene 4: Dance Scene & Arrival Of Drosselmeyer
6. Scene 5: Scene & Grandfather's Dance
7. Scene 6: The Magic Spell Begins
2. Scene 7: The Battle Between The Nutcracker & The Mouse King
8. Scene 8: Scene In The Pine Forest (Journey Through The Snow)
9. Scene 9: Waltz Of The Snowflakes
1. Scene 10: The Magic Castle
2. Scene 11: Clara & The Prince
3. Chocolate: Spanish Dance
4. Coffee: Arabian Dance
5. Tea: Chinese Dance
7. Dance Of The Mirlitons
8. Mother Giggle & The Clowns
9. Scene 13: Waltz Of The Flowers
10. Dance Of The Prince & The Sugar-Plum Fairy
11. Variation 1: Tarantella
12. Variation 2: Dance Of The Sugar-Plum Fairy
14. Scene 15: Final Waltz & Apotheosis$34.99Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker"Tchaikovsky's ballets form a wonderful part of his musical expression - perhaps the most wonderful of all Such were my thoughts as I listened to this enchanting new recording of the Nutcracker by AndrÉ Previn and the LSO. As an account of the music it seems to me a wonderfully judged combination of skill and affection [It] is certainly a performance whose strength comes from its simple eloquence - and there is nothing that can make any music sound better than that There is a poised and sustained rapture about this performance from end to end that is the very definition of good conducting." -Gramophone, January 1973LP 1
1. The Nutcracker, Op. 71: Miniature Overture
2. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 1: Decoration Of The Christmas Tree
3. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 1: March
4. The Nutcracker, Op. 71: Children's Galop And Entry Of The Parents
5. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 1: Arrival Of Drosselmayer
6. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 1: The Nutcracker And Grandfather Dance
7. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 1: Departure Of The Guests (Clara And The Nutcracker)
8. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 1: The Battle And Transformation Scene
9. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 1: The Forest Of Fir Trees In Winter (Journey Through The Snow)
10. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 1: Waltz Of The Snowflakes
1. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: The Enchanted Palace Of The Kingdom Of Sweets (The Magic Castle)
2. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Arrival Of Clara And The Nutcracker
3. The Nutcracker, Op. 71: Act 2: Divertissement: Chocolate (Spanish Dance)
4. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Divertissement: Coffee (Arab Dance)
5. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Divertissement: Tea (Chinese Dance)
6. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Divertissement - Trepak (Russian Dance)
7. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Divertissement - Dance Of The Mirlitons (Flutes)
8. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Divertissement: Mother Gigogne And The Clowns
9. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Waltz Of The Flowers
10. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Pas De Deux (The Prince And The Sugar-plum Fairy): Pas De Deux
11. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Pas De Deux (The Prince And The Sugar-plum Fairy): Variation I (Taran
12. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Pas De Deux (The Prince And The Sugar-plum Fairy) - Variation Ii (Dan
13. The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act 2: Final Waltz & Apotheose$29.99Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker
180g Audiophile Vinyl!
Cut From The Original Analogue EMI Master Tapes At Abbey Road Studios!
A tall imposing figure, so tall, in fact, that he often dispensed with a podium, Efrem Kurtz was a distinguished Russian conductor, who had studied with Glazunov and Tcherepnin and was a pupil of Arthur Nikisch. Kurtz had a broad symphonic and operatic repertory and conducted the premieres of works by Copland, Barber, Walton, Hindemith, Stravinsky, Shostakovich and Khachaturian. But he was most highly regarded for his interpretations of Russian music.
Kurtz was a familiar name to the record collector of the 1950s and embarked upon a series of Tchaikovsky ballet recordings with the Philharmonia Orchestra for EMI in 1958. HIQ has already released Swan Lake and the release The Sleeping Beauty is in preparation. Of this Nutcracker highlights Gramaphone wrote: This is probably as good a selection as could reasonably be expected.
Cut at Abbey Road Studios from the original stereo analogue master tapes with the Neumann lathe fed an analogue pre-cut signal from a specially adapted Studer A80 tape deck with additional 'advance' playback head, making the cut a totally analogue process.
In the original review in The Gramophone of November 1958, R.F. remarked: The orchestral quality is superb, and the dynamic contrasts tremendous. If you can hear the opening pizzicato notes of the Sugar-Plum Fairy, the end of the Valse des Fleurs will have your neighbours banging on the wall in desperation.
Recorded March 1958, Kingsway Hall, London. Recording Producer: Peter Andry. Balance Engineer: Neville Boyling
• Hi-Q Records Supercuts 180g Vinyl
• Cut from the Original Analogue EMI Master Tapes at Abbey Road Studios!
• Superior Audiophile Pressing
• Features Original Album Artwork
• This recording is not otherwise generally available in any format.
Efrem Kurtz, conductor
This title is not eligible for discountThe Nutcracker Op. 71
2. No. 2 - Marche • No. 3 - Petit Galop Des Enfants Et EntrÉe De Parents • No. 8 - Scène • No. 9 - Valse Des Flocons De Neige
3. No. 12 - Divertissement; Le Chocolat; Le CafÉ
1. No. 12 - Divertissement: Le ThÉ; TrÉpak; Danse Des Mirlitons
2. No. 13 - Valse Des Fleurs
3. No. 14a - Pas De Deux
4. No. 14b - Pour Le Danseur • No. 14c Pour La Danseuse • No. 14d - Coda • No. 15 - Valse Finale$34.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Tchaikovsky - Nutcracker (Speakers Corner)
When the evenings grow longer, the autumn leaves begin to fall and Jack Frost calls during the night, then it is time to conjure up the magic world of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker while relaxing in front of a crackling fire.
In this double album you will hear the delightfully varied ballet music in its entirety and not just the usual highlights. Each and every one of the highly individual numbers, be it a dance, a march or a waltz, is enchanting with its ever varying orchestral colouring, here merry and impudent and tripping along lightly without a care in the world, there sturdy and vigourous, even coarse.
The Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, led by its conductor of many years standing, Ernest Ansermet, is very much at home in Russian repertoire and masters the occasional immense difficulties of the score with bravado. The DECCA team has once again proved its worth and leaves any nuts which still need to be cracked to the hi-fi equipment - the airy strings, the delicate triangles, the thrill of cymbals clashing, and the wooden clack of the castanets. And if, by an amazing coincidence, the heating should fail when you are listening to this record, there is no reason to worry - this music is guaranteed to warm the cockels of your heart and keep Jack Frost from the door.
- Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
- Ernest Ansermet (conductor)
Recording: October / November 1958 at Victoria Hall, Geneva by Roy Wallace
Production: James Walker
About Speakers Corner
At the beginning of the 90s, in the early days of audiophile vinyl re-releases, the situation was fairly straightforward. Companies such as DCC, Mobile Fidelity, Classic Records and, of course, Speakers Corner all maintained a mutual, unwritten ethical code: we would only use analogue tapes to manufacture records.
During the course of the present vinyl hype, many others have jumped on the bandwagon in the hope of securing a corner of the market. Very often they are not so ethical and use every imaginable source to master from: CDs, LPs, digital files, MP3s - or employed existant tools from the 80s and 90s for manufacturing.
A digital delay is gladly used when cutting a lacquer disc because tape machines with an analogue delay have become quite rare and are therefore expensive. When cutting the lacquer, the audio signal is delayed by one LP revolution against the signal, which controls the cutter head, and for this a digital delay is very often employed. Of course, the resultant sound signal is completely digital and thus only as good as this delay.
We should like to emphasise that Speakers Corner Records on principle only uses the original master tape as the basis for the entirely analogue cutting of lacquer discs. In addition, the pressing tool is newly manufactured as a matter of principle. We have one digital recording in our catalogue (Alan Parsons / Eye In The Sky"), but even in this particular case we used the analogue tapes for cutting.
We only employ existing tools for manufacturing if an improved result is not forthcoming, e.g. the title Elvis Is Back, which was mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray, or several titles from our Philips Classics series, which in any case Willem Makkee cut from the original masters at the Emil Berliner Studios in the 90s. It goes without saying that we only used the mother and that new tools were made for our production.
To put it in a nutshell: we can ensure you that our releases are free from any kind of digital effects - excluding the exception above - and that the lacquer discs are newly cut.
This title is not eligible for discount.$69.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
The Royal Ballet Gala PerformancesDouble LP With Book
Mastered By Bernie Grundman From The Original Analog Tape
200-Gram Double LP Plated And Pressed At Quality Record Pressings
In the hearts of thousands, No. 1 on the Top RCA list. While the bulk of Ansermet's recordings were made with L'Orchestre de la Susise Romande, there were a few with the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra and the very occasional foray into recordings with London orchestras, one of these being with the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, in 1959.
Audiophilia Online Magazine wrote: This is the stuff of which dreams are made. The Royal Ballet Gala is one of the finest RCAs recorded in London's Kingsway Hall. The chunks of great ballet music are well served by orchestra, conductor and engineer. Performances are executed to a very high standard - the Royal Opera House Orchestra, both then and n
ow, rank as one of the finest of opera orchestras.
Conductor Ansermet keeps the pace moving, giving the listener the impression of a dance event rather than a dramatic concert hall reading. With the exception of some of the Tchaikovsky scenes, the music is light and remains so under Ansermet's gentle touch. Each ballet is given full attention by the players, something not always attained at Covent Garden during long ballet nights! The threat of eternity does have its merits. The recorded sound is simply amazing! Lustrous is one word that comes to mind, accurate is another.
Tonally, Messrs. Williamson and Wilkinson have used their considerable talents to capture the orchestra superbly. Woodwind and strings glow and resonate, transporting this listener to a time when simpler recording was better. Brass ring out thrillingly and percussion effects are very musical. Be it a bang, swish, rattle, crack or snap, each percussionist is situated perfectly within the beautiful Kingsway soundstage. Even the difficult-to-record sound of the celeste is captured in its purely mechanical form. Its delicate sound is heard to great effect during the Nutcracker - originating stage left, the sound decays across the stage of Kingsway with sparkling beauty. Wonderful.
Producer: Michael Williamson
Engineer Kenneth Wilkinson
This title is not eligible for discount.LP 1
1. Tschaikovsky: From The Nutcracker Suite
2. Rossini-Respighi: From La Boutique Fantastique
3. Delibes: From CoppÉlia
4. Adam: From Giselle
1. Tschaikovsky: From Swan Lake
2. Schumann: From Carnaval
3. Tschaikovsky: From The Sleeping Beauty
4. Chopin: From Les Sylphides$99.99200 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP + Book - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite; Grieg: Peer GyntDecca is releasing their greatest recordings on vinyl and all are mastered at Abbey Road Studios from original
analogue tapes and pressed on 180g heavyweight vinyl by OPTIMAL. This release features Herbert von Karajan
and the Vienna Philharmonic in Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite and music from Grieg's Peer Gynt.''The Karajan
suites from the three great Tchaikovsky ballets have long been a standard recording and an absolute must for any classical collection worth its salt.'' (Audiophile Audition)1. Miniature Overture
3. Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy
5. Arab Dance
6. Chinese Dance
7. Dance Of The Reed Pipes
8. Waltz Of The Flowers$25.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Christmas Extraordinaire (Out Of Stock)Christmas Extraordinare is another innovative and heartfelt collection of seasonal treasures played on a combination of 18th-century instruments and modern-day synthesizers, drums, and electric guitars. While not the first to marry different ages of musical instruments, Davis and his cohorts use them with imagination and an intensity that gives new life and drama to this rather inert genre.
For material, Mannheim Steamroller asked their fans to choose their favorite holiday selections and vote on their Web site. The results of the poll are a fine mix of old and new--with slightly more emphasis on the modern--ranging from the bracing Fum, Fum, Fum, a traditional Catalan carol, to Tchaikovsky's Faeries from The Nutcracker. Mannheim Steamroller imbues this beloved song with an almost militaristic edge, grounding it with an ominous tuba that gives the usually fey Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies an edgy tension. Winter Wonderland is a spectacular work, bordering on prog rock, as if Emerson, Lake & Palmer had re-formed to whip up a winter blizzard gone amok.
While most of the Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas albums are largely instrumental, Davis has employed the considerable talents of University of Michigan's Glee Club to sing on O Tannenbaum, respectfully fading their elegant, full vocals around the pristine voice of Johnny Mathis, elevating this German carol to a cinematic peak. -Jaan Uhelszki1. Hallelujah (From The Messiah)
2. White Christmas
3. Away In A Manger
4. Faeries (From The Nutcracker)
5. Do You Hear What I Hear?
6. The First Noel
7. Silver Bells
8. Fum, Fum, Fum
9. Some Children See Him
10. Winter Wonderland
11. O Tannenbaum
12. Auld Lang Syne$19.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Temporarily out of stock