Before his untimely death in 2012, renowned American rock guitarist Ronnie Montrose began recording an ambitious passion project with bassist Ricky Phillips (Styx, Bad English) and drummer Eric Singer (Kiss, Alice Cooper). The idea was to record 10 songs with 10 different singers and call the album 10X10. Sadly, Montrose was unable to see the album through during his lifetime. Instead, Phillips made it his mission to finish the songs by enlisting a small army of Ronnie's musician friends to record the vocals and the guitar solos for each song, completing the album in recent years.
Phillips says the songs represent some of Montrose's best work. "His songs still have the fire and angst of a young rebel, but with some added wisdom and foresight voiced in his own unique language of 'guitar-speak.' On 10X10, we hear Ronnie at the top of his game, from the opening crunch guitar of 'Heavy Traffic,' all the way to the closing song, 'I'm Not Lying,' which was Ronnie's tip of the hat to his friend Robin Trower."
10X10 features inspired pairings, like Deep Purple singer Glenn Hughes with Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collen ("Still Singin' With The Band") and singer Sammy Hagar with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather ("Color Blind"). Legendary blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa also showcases his guitar talents on the track "The Kingdom's Come Undone" with Ricky Phillips on vocals. A few artists both sing and play, like Edgar Winter ("Love Is An Art") and Tommy Shaw ("Strong Enough").
Several artists who appear on 10X10 had recorded with Ronnie during his career, like Edgar Winter, who included the guitarist on his 1972 album, They Only Come Out At Night. Sammy Hagar got his start singing with Montrose. Between 1973-75, he recorded two influential albums - Montrose and Paper Money - with the band and toured the world.
More than 40 years later, Hagar was among the first who agreed to help finish Ronnie's final album. "It's valuable to have 10X10 be seen as Ronnie's last work, rather than going and digging up some stuff from his past. This was something he truly had a vision for," says Hagar.
1. Heavy Traffic Feat. Eric Martin & Dave Meniketti
2. Love Is An Art Feat. Edgar Winter & Rick Derringer
3. Color Blind Feat. Sammy Hagar & Steve Lukather
4. Still Singin' With The Band Feat. Glenn Hughes, Phil Collen & Jimmy "Z" Zavala
5. Strong Enough Feat. Tommy Shaw
6. Any Minute Feat. Mark Farner & Ricky Phillips
7. The Kingdom's Come Undone Feat. Ricky Phillips & Joe Bonamassa
8. One Good Reason Feat. Bruce Turgon & Brad Whitford
9. Head On Straight Feat. Davey Pattison & Marc Bonilla
10. I'm Not Lying Feat. Gregg Rolie, Tom Gimbel & Lawrence Gowan